Terry Pratchett explores death in BBC’s Choosing to Die
BBC2 are creating a 1hr documentary presented by world-renowned author Sir Terry Pratchett. In Terry Pratchett: Choosing To Die, He explores the realities of medically assisted death. Having been diagnosed with a rare form of early onset Alzheimer’s disease in 2008, Terry considers how he might choose to end his life as his condition progresses. In a moving documentary he meets those who, like him, would like to control the way they die including a men suffering from degenerative conditions and he is with a British motor neurone sufferer as he carries out an assisted death at the Dignitas clinic in Switzerland.
“I am a firm believer in assisted death. I believe everybody possessed of a debilitating and incurable disease should be allowed to pick the hour of their death. And I wanted to know more about Dignitas in case I ever wanted to go there myself.” – Terry Pratchett
Sir Terry has said that he would like to choose to end his own life rather than succumb to his degenerative condition. However, he acknowledges that there are a number of people who are against assisted dying for religious, moral or practical reasons and at present, assisted death is both an ethically contentious and illegal act in the UK. Comparing other European countries’ legal positions he asks what the future is for assisted death in the UK.
The program will be aired on BBC Two in the Summer and Newsnight intend to host a debate following the episode.
*please ignore this little bit of text, it’s for a robot: DNSAQWDET5EV
An Awesome Advert
Sign up for our mailing list.
Top Posts & Pages
- David Hockney: A Bigger Picture - Review
- The V&A Proudly Presents... Hollywood Costume
- Game Of Throne's Maisie Williams Lands Monster Role in We Are Monsters
- Main Page
- Celebs Get Knitted up to Save The Children's Xmas Jumper Day
- Watch Jonas Cuaron’s Gravity Companion Short Film Aningaag
- Biggest Fitness Trend 2014 Prediction - High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- Breaking Bad Season 5 Part 1 Comes to Netflix on 1st November
- Banshee Chapter to get UK distribution after rapturous screenings at Festivals
- DERREN BROWN INFAMOUS Tour Dates Announced
- I went to the STAR WARS VII open casting and this was my experience… | Cult Hub on World Finalists Announced for Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception Auditions in LA
- Watch Jonas Cuaron’s Gravity Companion Short Film Aningaag | Cult Hub on Gravity – London Film Festival 2013 Review
- Bombay Sapphire Imagination Series Film Experience – Winners Announced | Cult Hub on Bombay Sapphire Team with Tribecca Film Fest to Launch Imagination Film Competition
- Nick Knight Shoots Diesel Campaign Entirely on ... on Nick Knight Shoots Diesel Campaign Entirely on an iPhone
- Cult_Hub on WIN Beauty Classic; Nelsons Calendula Cream Review & Giveaway