Competition to be the 26th Director of The ABCs of Death
Alamo Drafthouse Films are looking for the next great genre director to complete a line up for their feature film ‘The ABC’s of Death”. They have 25 letters of the alphabet covered and are looking for that final missing piece via a worldwide competition. The talented winner will have their work features alongside 25 of the most talented genre directors worldwide and also win $5,000.
The Directors on board at the moment are a mixture of up and coming talent and established names, they are…
Kaare Andrews (Altitude)
Angela Bettis (Roman)
Ernesto Diaz Espinoza (Mirageman, Mandrill)
Jason Eisener (Hobo With A Shotgun)
Bruno Forzani and Héléne (Amer)
Adrian Garcia Bogliano (Cold Sweat)
Xavier Gens (Frontiers, Hitman)
Noburo Iguchi (Machine Girl, Robo Geisha)
Thomas Malling (Norwegian Ninja)
Yoshihiro Nishimura (Tokyo Gore Police, Frankenstein Girl Vs. Vampire Girl)
JT Petty (Soft For Digging, The Burrowers)
Banjong Pisanthanakun (Shutter, Alone)
Simon Rumley (The Living and the Dead; Red, White and Blue)
Marcel Sarmiento (DeadGirl)
Chris Smith (Severance, Triangle)
Srdjan Spasojevic (A Serbian Film)
Timo Tjahjanto (Macabre)
Andrew Traucki (The Reef, Black Water)
Nacho Vigalondo (TimeCrimes)
Jake West (Doghouse, Evil Aliens)
Ti West (House of the Devil, The Innkeepers)
Ben Wheatley (Down Terrace, Kill List)
Adam Wingard (Pop Skull, A Horrible Way to Die)
Anders Wulffmorgenthaler (Princess)
Yudai Yamaguchi (Yakuza Weapon, Battlefield Baseball)
The 26th and final name to be added to that list could be you.
Here’s what the Producers had to say:
Choose your own ABCs of Death word starting with the letter “T”. ie T is for TAZER (you get to choose your own word, probably best not to use Tazer, unless you really want to do a Tazer to the groin short).
Then create a short film that is inspired by the ‘word’ you have chosen. How you interpret the word is entirely up each competitor. You can shoot live-action, animation, stop-motion, use actors, cut-outs, puppets or animals. The choice is yours, there are no restrictions on content or creativity, provided of course you don’t break any international laws.
Words that explain exactly how the death will occur are fun but they offer little surprise. T is for TAZER means that the audience will know that someone is going to die via a Tazer somehow in advance. This can be a very good thing (anticipation) or it can be somewhat anti-climatic (if you deliver whats expected). It depends on how you play it out. Please keep in mind that there are many other directors all making similarly structured works that are all operating within the same theme.
We are looking for the “Holy Sh*t” factor.
Ultimately we would like your segment to have the ability to stand on its own as well as being integrated into the final project. We feel it would be best to make each segment a complete mini-tale, with a beginning, middle and end.
The deadline for submissions is the 1st October 2011 and the first round is decided via a public vote so directors will need to upload their work as soon as possible. The shortlist of 10 films then goes onto the final judging round which is conducted by the other 25 directors.
Sign up for our mailing list.
Top Posts & Pages
- 6 Tips to Spring clean your love life and WIN a We-Vibe Thrill!
- WIN Escape Plan starring Sly and Arnie on Blu-ray!
- Main Page
- Our Top 10 TV Detective Stories Abroad
- Sponsored Video: CNBC Premiere Money Talks Sneak Peek
- David Hockney: A Bigger Picture - Review
- Jena Malone Offered Role of Johanna Mason in 'Catching Fire'
- Sponsored Video: Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare relased for XBox One
- [Sponsored Video] Giffgaff Stage the Ultimate Halloween Pool Party
- Kyle Hilton's TV and Film Inspired Paper Dolls
- Interview With Room 8 Director James Griffiths | Cult Hub on Bombay Sapphire Team with Tribecca Film Fest to Launch Imagination Film Competition
- The Best of Cult Hub 2012 | Cult Hub on London 2012 Olympic Medals Unveiled
- My Top 10 of 2013 | Reece's Pieces on The World’s End Review
- Jacob on Nick Knight Shoots Diesel Campaign Entirely on an iPhone
- I went to the STAR WARS VII open casting and this was my experience… | Cult Hub on World Finalists Announced for Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception Auditions in LA