Canon Officially Unveils E0S 5D Mark III DSLR
Canon has officially taken the wraps off it’s latest addition to their EOS range. The new 5D Mark III DSLR, builds on it’s predecessor the popular 5D Mark II and offers increased speed, resolution, processing power and creative options for both stills and movies.
The EOS 5D Mark III features a 22.3 Megapixel (MP) full-frame sensor and shoots HD movies up to 6 frames per second (fps) shooting. The 61-point AF system and 63-zone metering provide greater speed, flexibility and accuracy.
The 5D Mark III will capture H.264 footage at 1080p or 720p. There’ll also be a stereo mic input and a headphone jack so that you can monitor audio levels whilst filming. Filmmakers will love the new rear dial which becomes touch sensitive during video recording, allowing you to change settings without shaking the camera or creating clicking noises during your take.
The 22.3 megapixels crammed into into the 5D Mark III is up from the 21.1 found in the 5D Mark II. The new sensor uses the gapless micro lens design found in the 1D X. The new sensor and architecture also means it has an iso range of 100-25600, expandable to 102,400, making it possible to capture clean, high quality pictures, even in extreme low-light conditions.
Enhanced processing power provided by DIGIC 5+ also makes it possible to conveniently trim the length of recorded movies in-camera. In-camera HDR shooting will combine three different exposures and allows one of five preset tone maps to be applied, so stills photographers can capture all the detail in high contrast scenes. In-camera RAW processing and editing capability means photographers will have the option to immediately begin post-processing their images while still on a shoot or on the move.
Other new functions include a dedicated “rating” button makes it easy for photographers to organise images ahead of post-production, a slient shooting mode and a continuous silent mode (apparently aimed at wedding and easily startled wildlife photographers).
The camera has both CF and SD card slots which enables shooting to both cards simultaneously, auto switching when the one in use becomes full and the option to copy images from one card to the other in-camera.
The 5D Mark III features a number of new buttons, including a rating button for starring photos, a creative photo button, a dedicated Live View button and a multi-function button next to the shutter release. The power switch has been moved to the top left next to the locking mode dial, and there’s a new rear dial-locking slider on the back.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III – Key features:
- 22.3 Megapixel full-frame sensor
- 61-point autofocus
- Up to 6fps continuous shooting
- Native ISO 100-25,600 sensitivity
- Full HD video with manual control
- 14-bit DIGIC 5+ processor
- Enhanced Weather sealing
- 8.11cm (3.2-inch) 1,040,000-dot screen
- HDR mode with presets
The Canon 5D Mark III is priced £2999.99 for the body only and is expected at the end of March.
For more indepth specification take a look at the Canon website.
Sign up for our mailing list.
Top Posts & Pages
- THE RAID 2 gets a cinema release date
- 6 Tips to Spring clean your love life and WIN a We-Vibe Thrill!
- Harold Ramis Obituary
- WIN Escape Plan starring Sly and Arnie on Blu-ray!
- Sponsored Video: Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare relased for XBox One
- Sponsored Video: CNBC Premiere Money Talks Sneak Peek
- The Dictator Spotted on a Luxury Yacht in Cannes
- Our Top 10 TV Detective Stories Abroad
- WIN Magi the Labyrinth of Magic on DVD!
- David Hockney: A Bigger Picture - Review
- Interview With Room 8 Director James Griffiths | Cult Hub on Bombay Sapphire Team with Tribecca Film Fest to Launch Imagination Film Competition
- The Best of Cult Hub 2012 | Cult Hub on London 2012 Olympic Medals Unveiled
- My Top 10 of 2013 | Reece's Pieces on The World’s End Review
- Jacob on Nick Knight Shoots Diesel Campaign Entirely on an iPhone
- I went to the STAR WARS VII open casting and this was my experience… | Cult Hub on World Finalists Announced for Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception Auditions in LA