Martial Arts Action Film ‘The Raid’ Comes to the UK
There’s a martial arts film that’s been quietly gathering buzz in film festivals worldwide and now it’s coming to a screen near you. ‘The Raid’ is set in one of those terrors of society, the high rise housing estate. The trailer above illustrates the plot in audio visual form but if you prefer a synopsis, here it is:
“Deep in the heart of one of Jakarta’s most deprived slums stands an impenetrable high-rise apartment block. To most it is 30 floors of Hell to be avoided at all cost but for many of the city’s most dangerous killers and gangsters, including the area’s most notorious crime lord, it is a fortress-like safe house protecting them from the law. Even for the bravest and most experienced police officers it is considered a no-go area.
In a desperate bid to flush these violent criminals and their leader from their haven once and for all, an elite SWAT team is tasked with infiltrating the building and raiding the apartments floor by floor, taking out anyone who stands in their way. Cloaked under the cover of pre-dawn darkness, the SWAT members make their move and enter the block not realizing that this is the easier part of the mission. Once inside, it soon becomes terrifyingly apparent that the real problem at hand is surviving long enough to be able to get out again.”
Set to an “electrifying kick-ass” score by Linkin Park vocalist, keyboardist and rhythm guitarist Mike Shinoda, ‘The Raid’ reaffirms Welsh Director Gareth Huw Evans’ reputation as a director to watch. The non-stop fight sequences are choreographed by Iko Uwais who also stars as the lead giving the film an additional dimension of reality. Iko Uwais, a student of the martial art Pencak Silat was working as a truck driver for an Indonesian telephone company when he was discovered by Gareth Evans who was working on a documentary about the largely unfilmed martial arts form.
The film has been a hit at film festivals winning the Midnight Madness People’s Choice Award at the Toronto International Film Festival in 2011 and the winner of both the coveted Audience Award for Best Film and the Dublin Film Critics Award for Best Film at the Dublin International Film Festival in February this year, marking the first time in history both awards have gone to the same film.
‘The Raid’ is written, edited and directed by Gareth Huw Evans, and stars Iko Uwais, Joe Taslim, Doni Alamsyah, Yayan Ruhian, Pierre Gruno, Ray Sahetapy and Tegar Satrya. The film is produced by Ario Sagantoro and executive produced by R. Maya Barack-Evans, Irwan D. Mussry, Nate Bolotin and Todd Brown. T’he Raid’ is Certified 18 and hits the screens here in the UK on 18th Mary 2012.
Sign up for our mailing list.
Top Posts & Pages
- 6 Tips to Spring clean your love life and WIN a We-Vibe Thrill!
- Main Page
- WIN Escape Plan starring Sly and Arnie on Blu-ray!
- Sponsored Video: Kermit's advice on how to "be more tea" with Lipton
- Our Top 10 TV Detective Stories Abroad
- David Hockney: A Bigger Picture - Review
- Sponsored Video: CNBC Premiere Money Talks Sneak Peek
- National Geographic - COSMOS: A Spacetime Odyssey's Impressive Trailer
- Jena Malone Offered Role of Johanna Mason in 'Catching Fire'
- THE RAID 2 gets a cinema release date
- Interview With Room 8 Director James Griffiths | Cult Hub on Bombay Sapphire Team with Tribecca Film Fest to Launch Imagination Film Competition
- The Best of Cult Hub 2012 | Cult Hub on London 2012 Olympic Medals Unveiled
- My Top 10 of 2013 | Reece's Pieces on The World’s End Review
- Jacob on Nick Knight Shoots Diesel Campaign Entirely on an iPhone
- I went to the STAR WARS VII open casting and this was my experience… | Cult Hub on World Finalists Announced for Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception Auditions in LA