Return of the Secret Lemonade Drinker – Now Licker
Most people who watched TV in the 70′s and 80′s will remember the catchy television advert about “the secret lemonade drinker”, a man (played by Julian Chagrin) who steals down to the fridge in the middle of the night to get his fix of R. White’s Lemonade before being discovered by his wife. The jingle was sung by Elvis Costello’s fater Ross MacManus. It was first shown in 1973 and became one of the longest running and best-loved campaigns in TV history. Well the advert’s back, and this time it’s not lemonade he’s after, it’s a lemonade ice lolly.
Returning tonight, the advert has been recreated with it’s original cast to launch the new R White’s lemonade ice lolly, just in time for the summer and also marking the start of National Ice Cream Week. The cast were reunited after almost 40 years following a public appeal to find the original Mrs R White. She was found, having settled in the Irish countryside, after several months of searching via online, social media and newspaper articles when an article caught the attention of her son in London.
The commercial opens with actor Julian Chagrin creeping down the stairs in the middle of the night to a new ‘I’m a Secret Lemonade Licker’ song. Julian performs his original moves from the 1973 advert and is caught prancing around the kitchen in front of his ever disapproving onscreen wife, actress Harriet Philpin.
Harriet Philpin commented, “My son rang me up and said ‘you won’t believe it mum, you’re in the papers over here [in London], R White’s has spent months searching for you’. I got straight on the phone and was thrilled to be invited back on set with Julian to recreate the magic of the 70s for the new lolly.”
The new advert was filmed in London and will premiere tonight on comedy channel Gold at 8.15pm.
Sign up for our mailing list.
Top Posts & Pages
- 6 Tips to Spring clean your love life and WIN a We-Vibe Thrill!
- THE RAID 2 gets a cinema release date
- WIN Escape Plan starring Sly and Arnie on Blu-ray!
- Sponsored Video: Kermit's advice on how to "be more tea" with Lipton
- Main Page
- David Hockney: A Bigger Picture - Review
- Our Top 10 TV Detective Stories Abroad
- Harold Ramis Obituary
- How Iconic Movies Would Look as Ottoman Miniatures
- Fitness First launches BEAT Concept Club and Training Style
- Interview With Room 8 Director James Griffiths | Cult Hub on Bombay Sapphire Team with Tribecca Film Fest to Launch Imagination Film Competition
- The Best of Cult Hub 2012 | Cult Hub on London 2012 Olympic Medals Unveiled
- My Top 10 of 2013 | Reece's Pieces on The World’s End Review
- Jacob on Nick Knight Shoots Diesel Campaign Entirely on an iPhone
- I went to the STAR WARS VII open casting and this was my experience… | Cult Hub on World Finalists Announced for Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception Auditions in LA