David Tennant to Star in ‘Broadchurch’ – a New Eight Part Drama
- Genevieve Sibayan
- On July 9, 2012
Exploring what happens to a small community when it suddenly becomes the focus of a major event and is subjected to the full glare of the media spotlight.
Bloodied and dirty, Danny Price has been found dead on an idyllic beach, surrounded by rocks and a jutting cliff-face from where he may have fallen. Whilst his death remains unresolved, the picturesque coastal town of Broadchurch is at the heart of a major police investigation and a national media frenzy.
Everything matters, now. Who did what, who was where. Everything connects..
Among the cast will be the familiar faces of an array of British actors, including Jodie Whittaker as Beth, Andrew Buchan as Mark, Will Mellor playing Stephen Turner and Arthur Darvill as the town priest Paul Coates.
The Doctor Who connection doesn’t stop at the actors. Broadchurch is written and created by Chris Chibnall, whose previous work includes Torchwood, Law & Order: UK and Doctor Who.
The sadness of losing a child consumes Danny’s family, Beth and Mark Price (Jodie Whittaker and Andrew Buchan), their daughter 15 year old Lara and Beth’s mum, Liz as they attempt to cope with their grief. Understandably they struggle to cope with the unwarranted attention heaped upon them. Devastated by their loss, they struggle to relate to their friends, neighbours, the church, the press, and the police.
David Tennant will takes the role of DI Alec Hardy; an out-of-town, newly promoted police detective who takes the job local girl DS Ellie Miller (Olivia Colman) believes should have been hers.
One by one the community of Broadchurch are drawn into the police enquiry. Local hoteliers and business people are implicated as the effects of a death in the community begins to impact on their hard-earned livelihoods. But can the town survive such a seismic shock during its economically crucial summer months? As the case drags on, the whole town will come under pressure: personal, economic, professional and emotional.
James Strong (United, Downton Abbey, Silent Witness, Doctor Who) will direct the first two episodes and episodes seven and eight of the series. Richard Stokes (Silk, Law & Order: UK, Torchwood) will produce the drama and Jane Featherstone (The Hour, Life on Mars, Law & Order: UK) will executive produce with Chris Chibnall.
Produced by Kudos Film and Television, the location for filming will be in Portishead near Bristol and is due to start filming from mid August and will continue until the end of November.
Sign up for our mailing list.
Top Posts & Pages
- THE RAID 2 gets a cinema release date
- 6 Tips to Spring clean your love life and WIN a We-Vibe Thrill!
- Harold Ramis Obituary
- WIN Escape Plan starring Sly and Arnie on Blu-ray!
- Sponsored Video: Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare relased for XBox One
- Sponsored Video: CNBC Premiere Money Talks Sneak Peek
- The Dictator Spotted on a Luxury Yacht in Cannes
- WIN Magi the Labyrinth of Magic on DVD!
- Fitness First launches BEAT Concept Club and Training Style
- How Iconic Movies Would Look as Ottoman Miniatures
- Interview With Room 8 Director James Griffiths | Cult Hub on Bombay Sapphire Team with Tribecca Film Fest to Launch Imagination Film Competition
- The Best of Cult Hub 2012 | Cult Hub on London 2012 Olympic Medals Unveiled
- My Top 10 of 2013 | Reece's Pieces on The World’s End Review
- Jacob on Nick Knight Shoots Diesel Campaign Entirely on an iPhone
- I went to the STAR WARS VII open casting and this was my experience… | Cult Hub on World Finalists Announced for Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception Auditions in LA