Bombay Sapphire Brings Edible Cinema Experience to Aubin Cinema
- Genevieve Sibayan
- On August 17, 2012
3D is so passe and 4D (those shaking chairs otherwise known as d-box) is impractical if you’re trying to eat your popcorn. If you’re on the hunt for an extra sensory experience to your favourite film then you can’t go wrong with Edible Cinema. Is this 5 or 6D now? I’ve lost track.
Being held at the Soho House Group’s Aubin Cinema in London, Edible Cinema on the 25th and 26th August 2012 follows the success of the first event ‘Pan’s Labyrinth’ at the Electric Cinema in May.
This time around they’re screening Spirited Away, integrating the movie with a tasting experience in a collaboration between the Soho House Group, renowned experience organiser Polly Betton, experimental food designer Andrew Stellitano and Bombay Sapphire mixologist Sam Carter.
The audience is provided with a series of numbered ‘packages’ before the start of the film, which contain various foods. At specific points during the film, large placards with corresponding numbers will be shown to the audience instructing them to consume the contents of the packages. Guests will also be served an imaginative Sapphire Rosato cocktail inspired by the film.
This experience is not just about eating; the smell, texture, even the way the mouth feels after eating the contents of the ‘packages’ will correspond to what’s happening onscreen and heighten the viewers’ sensory experience of the film.
As you already know, Studio Ghibli’s Spirited Away is about a young girl on a quest to rescue her parents from a weird world filled with talking frogs, witches and spirits. Some of the edible experiences during the film will include a foaming tapioca ‘soap’ powder during the memorable bath house scene, and Bombay Tears, a lightly salted mini Bombay Sapphire cocktail to drink as Chihiro (now Sen) cries as she eats her first meal as a servant girl. If eating the tears of a crying girl doesn’t sound like a fun evening out, food designer Andrew promises that the experience will be aromatic, textural and full of unusual and intriguing flavours.
Think the word Aubin sounds familiar? That’s because it’s part of the first Aubin & Wills destination store. The Aubin Cinema is run in conjunction with Shoreditch House private members’ club and Aubin & Wills destination store together with The Aubin Gallery. The cinema is the ultimate in luxury, giving 45 viewers velvet chairs and sofas to relax on. A world away from the usual sticky seats of East London.
Edible Cinema will take place on Saturday 25 August at 4.00pm and Sunday 26 August at 9.00pm at The Aubin Cinema, 64-66 Redchurch Street, London E2 7DP
Armchair seats £23pp
Sofa seats £50 (£25pp)
Deluxe sofa £52 (£26pp)
Angled seats £20pp
Sign up for our mailing list.
Top Posts & Pages
- 6 Tips to Spring clean your love life and WIN a We-Vibe Thrill!
- THE RAID 2 gets a cinema release date
- WIN Magi the Labyrinth of Magic on DVD!
- WIN Escape Plan starring Sly and Arnie on Blu-ray!
- Our Top 10 TV Detective Stories Abroad
- Main Page
- Sponsored Video: Kermit's advice on how to "be more tea" with Lipton
- David Hockney: A Bigger Picture - Review
- Sponsored Video: CNBC Premiere Money Talks Sneak Peek
- The V&A Proudly Presents... Hollywood Costume
- Interview With Room 8 Director James Griffiths | Cult Hub on Bombay Sapphire Team with Tribecca Film Fest to Launch Imagination Film Competition
- The Best of Cult Hub 2012 | Cult Hub on London 2012 Olympic Medals Unveiled
- My Top 10 of 2013 | Reece's Pieces on The World’s End Review
- Jacob on Nick Knight Shoots Diesel Campaign Entirely on an iPhone
- I went to the STAR WARS VII open casting and this was my experience… | Cult Hub on World Finalists Announced for Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception Auditions in LA