Bombay Sapphire Brings Edible Cinema Experience to Aubin Cinema
- Genevieve Sibayan
- On August 17, 2012
3D is so passe and 4D (those shaking chairs otherwise known as d-box) is impractical if you’re trying to eat your popcorn. If you’re on the hunt for an extra sensory experience to your favourite film then you can’t go wrong with Edible Cinema. Is this 5 or 6D now? I’ve lost track.
Being held at the Soho House Group’s Aubin Cinema in London, Edible Cinema on the 25th and 26th August 2012 follows the success of the first event ‘Pan’s Labyrinth’ at the Electric Cinema in May.
This time around they’re screening Spirited Away, integrating the movie with a tasting experience in a collaboration between the Soho House Group, renowned experience organiser Polly Betton, experimental food designer Andrew Stellitano and Bombay Sapphire mixologist Sam Carter.
The audience is provided with a series of numbered ‘packages’ before the start of the film, which contain various foods. At specific points during the film, large placards with corresponding numbers will be shown to the audience instructing them to consume the contents of the packages. Guests will also be served an imaginative Sapphire Rosato cocktail inspired by the film.
This experience is not just about eating; the smell, texture, even the way the mouth feels after eating the contents of the ‘packages’ will correspond to what’s happening onscreen and heighten the viewers’ sensory experience of the film.
As you already know, Studio Ghibli’s Spirited Away is about a young girl on a quest to rescue her parents from a weird world filled with talking frogs, witches and spirits. Some of the edible experiences during the film will include a foaming tapioca ‘soap’ powder during the memorable bath house scene, and Bombay Tears, a lightly salted mini Bombay Sapphire cocktail to drink as Chihiro (now Sen) cries as she eats her first meal as a servant girl. If eating the tears of a crying girl doesn’t sound like a fun evening out, food designer Andrew promises that the experience will be aromatic, textural and full of unusual and intriguing flavours.
Think the word Aubin sounds familiar? That’s because it’s part of the first Aubin & Wills destination store. The Aubin Cinema is run in conjunction with Shoreditch House private members’ club and Aubin & Wills destination store together with The Aubin Gallery. The cinema is the ultimate in luxury, giving 45 viewers velvet chairs and sofas to relax on. A world away from the usual sticky seats of East London.
Edible Cinema will take place on Saturday 25 August at 4.00pm and Sunday 26 August at 9.00pm at The Aubin Cinema, 64-66 Redchurch Street, London E2 7DP
Armchair seats £23pp
Sofa seats £50 (£25pp)
Deluxe sofa £52 (£26pp)
Angled seats £20pp
An Awesome Advert
Sign up for our mailing list.
Top Posts & Pages
- Biggest Fitness Trend 2014 Prediction - High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT)
- Main Page
- Celebs Get Knitted up to Save The Children's Xmas Jumper Day
- IRON SKY to Take On Earth for a Second Time in Dictator's Cut
- David Hockney: A Bigger Picture - Review
- Breaking Bad Season 5 Part 1 Comes to Netflix on 1st November
- Wonder Woman joins BATMAN/SUPERMAN movie!
- James Haskell's Fitness Trend Predictions for 2014 Focus on Playtime
- Celebrate the Festive Season with Heal’s In-store Events
- Gallowwalkers - Wesley Snipes' Lost Movie Reviewed
- I went to the STAR WARS VII open casting and this was my experience… | Cult Hub on World Finalists Announced for Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception Auditions in LA
- Watch Jonas Cuaron’s Gravity Companion Short Film Aningaag | Cult Hub on Gravity – London Film Festival 2013 Review
- Bombay Sapphire Imagination Series Film Experience – Winners Announced | Cult Hub on Bombay Sapphire Team with Tribecca Film Fest to Launch Imagination Film Competition
- Nick Knight Shoots Diesel Campaign Entirely on ... on Nick Knight Shoots Diesel Campaign Entirely on an iPhone
- Cult_Hub on WIN Beauty Classic; Nelsons Calendula Cream Review & Giveaway