London Film Festival 2012 to Open With Tim Burton’s Frankenweenie
Tim Burton’s pet project, Frankenweenie is to open this year’s London Film Festival, holding it’s European Premiere in London’s Odeon Leicester Square. Tim Burton, Winona Ryder, Martin Short, Catherine O’Hara, Martin Landau, Producer Allison Abbate and Executive Producer Don Hahn are expected to attend the Festival.
Clare Stewart, BFI Head of Exhibition and Festival Director commented “Funny, dark and whimsical, this gloriously crafted stop-motion 3D animation from Tim Burton – the reigning prince of outsiders – playfully turns the Frankenstein story on its bolted-on head.” “Frankenweenie is a perfect choice of opener – it’s a film that revels in the magic of movies from one of cinema’s great visionaries. Tim Burton has chosen London as his home city and hundreds of talented British craftspeople have contributed to this production.”
The 56th BFI London Film Festival will run from Wednesday 10 October-Sunday 21 October. The full programme will be announced on 5th September and you’ll be able to book tickets from bfi.org.uk/lff as films are announced.
After unexpectedly losing his beloved dog Sparky, young Victor harnesses the power of science to bring his best friend back to life — with just a few minor adjustments. He tries to hide his home-sewn creation, but when Sparky gets out, Victor’s fellow students, teachers and the entire town all learn that getting a new “leash on life” can be monstrous.
Frankenweenie stars the voices of Winona Ryder, Catherine O’Hara and Martin Short. Burton shot Frankenweenie in Three Mills Studios, in Bow, East London where he also filmed Corpse Bride.
The Festival will also play host to The Art of Frankenweenie Exhibition from 17-21 October, giving fans the unique opportunity to look at the creative process of Tim Burton’s pet project. Included in the exhibition will be the original sketches drawn by Burton, extensive props, sets and puppets from the film as well as the original live action b&w short that Burton directed early on his career.
So far, The Art of Frankenweenie has been shown at CineEurope in Barcelona, Spain, on June 18 before moving on to Comic-Con 2012 in San Diego, California on July 11-15. Other locations along the tour include France, England, Japan, Mexico, Canada and other locations in the USA before the end of its run.
So far, here is the list of place the exhibition is visiting:
- Barcelona: 18th to 21st of June
- San Diego: 11th to 15th of July
- Mexico City: 27th of July to 7th of August
- Toronto: 23rd to 26th of August
- Anaheim: 14th of September to 5th of November
- Madrid: September to October (Specific dates TBA)
- London: October (Specific dates TBA)
- Paris: October to November (Specific dates TBA)
- Tokyo: December (Specific dates TBA)
The Art of Frankenweenie Exhibition runs from 17-21 October (with a press preview and preview for American Express Cardmembers on 16 October) and will be free to the public. The exhibition will take place next door to the BFI Southbank at Southbank Centre’s Festival Village.
For more details, visit Disney Vault.
Sign up for our mailing list.
Top Posts & Pages
- WIN 3 Days To Kill on Blu-Ray
- WIN Grand Piano Starring Elijah Wood on DVD
- Main Page
- David Hockney: A Bigger Picture - Review
- London Film Festival - Monsters: Dark Continent - Review
- Shop the Screen: Are PEAKY BLINDERS Style Flat Caps Back?
- WIN Easy Money III: Life Deluxe on Blu-ray
- Game Of Throne's Maisie Williams Lands Monster Role in We Are Monsters
- Review: Guardians of the Galaxy
- Sponsored: Green Works creates a Muddy Puppy Catwalk Flashmob