NOW YOU SEE ME Review
- Reece Lipman
- On July 10, 2013
“Come in close, because the more you think you see, the easier you’ll be to fool” So says the trailer and opening line of Now You See Me as if writing my review for me.
Now You See Me purports to be a twisting Inception esque thriller filled with showbiz, magic and theft but which ends up a rather damp squib with some ludicrous twists and some loopy jumps in logic. The closer you watch it the more you’ll feel fooled into believing perhaps something special is going to happen soon and that the film can’t be as silly as this? Sadly, it is.
The plot has something to do with 4 magicians who keep stealing things, an FBI agent angry about Interpol interfering or whatever and Michael Caine wishing they’d only blown the bloody doors off or something. I’m not being rude but if you look closer than that and think you’re uncovering some mega clever plotting you’re going to be disappointed. The twists can be spotted a mile off and yet they still feel barnstormingly dumb when they happen. The entire final 3rd of the movie feels like someone behind the scenes believes they are much smarter than they are and this seriously hurts the final product. Had Now You See Me tried to have a slightly more simple ending it would have gotten away with it and I’d have added 2 stars to this review, that’s how much the ending detracts from it.
For a great film about magic with twists and intrigue and Michael Caine, go and watch The Prestige. It’s the film Now You See Me wishes it was. This is a shame as the cast is great and the film does try to stand out in a summer dominated by explosions and city wide destruction. Trying to do something original is to be commended and I truly wanted to love the film, I just wish it could have been as good as that promise.
Reece Lipman is a freelance filmmaker and writer who specialises in low budget short films and music videos under the banner of Shimmer-Man Productions. Reece has also performed at the Edinburgh Fringe comedy festival and has a dangerously nerdy fascination with pop culture. He can often be found trying to convince people why Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Doctor Who are the greatest things that have ever existed and wakes up most mornings wishing that he was Joss Whedon or Edgar Wright. You can read more from Reece on his website or you can follow him on Twitter (@ReeceLipman).
Sign up for our mailing list.
Top Posts & Pages
- THE RAID 2 gets a cinema release date
- 6 Tips to Spring clean your love life and WIN a We-Vibe Thrill!
- Sponsored Video: Plants Vs Zombies Garden Warfare relased for XBox One
- WIN Escape Plan starring Sly and Arnie on Blu-ray!
- Harold Ramis Obituary
- The Dictator Spotted on a Luxury Yacht in Cannes
- Sponsored Video: CNBC Premiere Money Talks Sneak Peek
- WIN Magi the Labyrinth of Magic on DVD!
- Fitness First launches BEAT Concept Club and Training Style
- Our Top 10 TV Detective Stories Abroad
- Interview With Room 8 Director James Griffiths | Cult Hub on Bombay Sapphire Team with Tribecca Film Fest to Launch Imagination Film Competition
- The Best of Cult Hub 2012 | Cult Hub on London 2012 Olympic Medals Unveiled
- My Top 10 of 2013 | Reece's Pieces on The World’s End Review
- Jacob on Nick Knight Shoots Diesel Campaign Entirely on an iPhone
- I went to the STAR WARS VII open casting and this was my experience… | Cult Hub on World Finalists Announced for Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception Auditions in LA